Friday, January 17, 2014

Sashing strips


The final lay-out after cutting the blocks back to 40 x 40 cm.
I'm sorry the six blocks aren't completely visible. The blocks were lying on the table and I was standing on a chair to take a picture. Too bad I was not tall enough to get the whole picture. 

My intention is to add sashing strips of 7 cm wide between the blocks in such a way that they form a nice transition between the blocks (seams of 1 cm included).


This fabric harmonizes best with all the blocks. 
It includes pink and blueish.


This is what I mean: blueish green on the right side and soft lilac on the left side of the strip.
I sewed the sashing strip 2,5 cm from the edges of the two blocks. The actual strip will be 5 cm wide.


The top row.



The bottom row.


The backside.
The blocks fit close to each other, showing a 2,5 cm seam.


I used herringbone stitch to close the seams.
A metal ruler is laid inside to prevent sewing through the sashing strip.


Closed seam.





9 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic and your sashing fabric is a great match. I love your idea of using the metal ruler so you don't stitch all the way through, that is very clever.

    Congratulations on finishing such a great looking project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right, the sashing makes the eye move easily from scene to scene.
    Oh, what a lovely quilt this is! And your work is as always so neat and elegant. I am so happy to see you're enjoying this work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is really wonderful, the design colours and everything about it and the sashing has worked a treat, you manage to find the loveliest pieces to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful creations born from your hands and also this lasted work confirms everything!!
    Happy weekend Dear Marjolein.
    Kisses.
    Morena

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric you chose works perfectly! Neat idea about the ruler trick: I often find myself sewn to things....or the wrong things sewn together...lol! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely fabric and perfect for the sashings. Using the ruler for protection is very smart. I do worry about you standing on a chair to get a photo...maybe the floor instead of a table to lay out the blocks? Creative Stitching Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I just love this piece, the colors, the critters. It is such a happy, peaceful quilt. Your work is exquisite.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heel mooi met al die zeediertjes, ook de turkoisen heel mooi gekozen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments. I would like to reply, so please make sure Blogger has your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...