Monday, April 29, 2013

Golden spiderweb



This is a sheer black fabric with golden spiderwebs.


I ironed misty fuse at the back.
The white is the unsolved glue of the misty fuse. Fortunately the glue solves when the spiderweb is ironed on the quilt.


The sheer black fabric is hardly visible, but the golden spiderweb is. 
This is exactly what I had in mind ;-)




Wednesday, April 24, 2013

WIP Wednesday: ribbon bouquet part II


Finished bouquet

In the the second (and last) part of the little bouquet I'll share how I completed this piece.
It is my contribution to Work in Progress Wednesday, hosted by SharonB
Anna Scott wrote a clear tutorial about lacing.


From firm cardboard I cut an oval piece and overlaid it with batting.


Along the edge of the embroidered piece I basted with a double thread. 
I basted in two parts, one in the top half and one in the lower half. I thought it would be easier that way to pull the thread to gather the fabric around the cardboard.
On the picture from bottom to top: the basted embroidered front, an extra layer of batting and the cardboard. 


The two gathering threads are pulled around the cardboard and fastened.


The fabric is stretched around the cardboard.


From the same fabric I sewed a layer at the backside. A ribbon loop is sewed in between.


The finished bouquet.





Wednesday, April 17, 2013

WIP Wednesday: ribbon bouquet part I


This is the first time I participate in Work in Progress Wednesday, hosted by SharonB.

I decided to work on this little bouquet has been waiting in my closet for a few years. It only had to be finished off.
The design is from an English magazine called "Classic Stitches". This magazine doesn't exist anymore.
The embroidery measures about 8 x 12 cm.
It was my first acquaintance with ribbon embroidery. When I looked at it again I noticed that the spider web roses are stuffed with too much ribbon. 


I picked them out and did them again.
These are the lengths of ribbon that are left over now.


 They look more realistic now.


Next I embroidered a chain stitch frame with 4 mm satin ribbon.





Saturday, April 13, 2013

Black dramatic lace


Look at this wonderful dramatic black lace motive!
I got it from the Etsy shop of Mingmingworld


How would it look in the center? 


It had to be cut in two pieces though.
That way they fill the open space nicely.









Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Gold and a template download


In this quilt there are two types of fabric: plain black and orange/yellow patterned fabrics.
The patterned fabrics speak for themselves and I don't want to add much embellishments.
The only embellishment I'll add is gold. Gold and lace are the joining elements in this project.


I want to outline the shapes in the patterned fabrics with a thin golden metallic thread. 
To decide what stitch to use I tested stem stitch (left), running stitch (middle) and whipped running stitch (right). The stem stitch won the competition.


Finished curve.


The gold adds just enough.


I have drawn the design with Inkscape, a  free vector drawing program.
You can download the PDF here.





Friday, April 5, 2013

YES!

Guess what....
I won a prize in the "Message in a bottle" challenge.

Marjolein Mieras
3rd Runner-Up (Experienced): 25.00 Gift Certificate to the website
Copy of Pat Winters 2013 Crazy Quilt Calendar



The winning pieces can be admired here.

More close up pictures are here.

Very special is the piece by Vivienne Garforth.
She made a storybook including a real message.
She also has a beautiful blog.




Tuesday, April 2, 2013

New CQJP project: Crazy Fall


A few years ago I visited a quilt shop. This "sane" quilt hang on the wall and I fell in love with the colors and the design. It made me want to turn the blocks.
No need to say I bought the fabrics and the pattern.


I started to sew all 42 blocks by hand, next I sewed them together following the design on the first picture. When I had almost finished I realized this quilt was going to be enormous. Each block is 6,5"  that means 39" x 45,5", that is more than 1 m square. Too big for my home as this design needs space. 
I decided to rearrange the blocks into a 20 blocks quilt.
Here I have hand/machine sewed all blocks together.
The white lines indicate where I basted the backing.


Till now I haven't found the perfect method to sew two pieces of fabric together with seams that meet exactly where they are supposed to meet.
I want to share with you what I tried this time, for now the best method for me.


I took a threaded needle from top to bottom exactly in the seam.


Next from bottom to top about 2 mm at the right side of the seam.
Again from top to bottom exactly in the seam (not showed).


Checking.....looks good!


Next about 2 mm left of the seam.


Checking...
And another time exactly through the seam and fasten the thread.


The result after hand sewing the two intersections.
Next I machine stitched the whole seam.
I stitched all the blocks together this way and most of them look pretty good. 
I have not a clue why some of the seams are so stubborn.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...