Saturday, March 23, 2013

Finished project: Message in a bottle


Finished CQ Message in a bottle

Below I'll share some close ups.


I added more glass beads and sequins in the pool and wooden beads at the foot of the dune.
The turtle charm and the large butterfly were in the package, so were 5 large glass beads of two different colors blue. I used only three of them. Fortunately the different blues matched the blues of the pool. 
The lighter square sparkles in the left fabric were in that fabric itself.


Also more beads and a turtle from my own stash are added.
Have you noticed that little butterfly from the package on the grass? It has found a perfect spot between the grasses. 


And finally.....the bottle.
It was empty, so I added a rolled piece of paper, no message on it.
I fastened it with invisible thread, it can be seen on two points though ;)
On the sea I sewed glass beads from the package, they form the sparkles in the sea.

This project was also my contribution to the CQJP 2013.
The whole quilt was large enough for four months.
I cut the photo of the finished quilt in four equal squares.


January block CQJP

I had my doubts about adding seam treatments on these distant dunes.
Because of the distance and the pattern of the front dune I decided not to. 


February block CQJP
The same goes for the distant blue dunes.
The herringbone stitches on the brown dune have been replaced by french knots to represent little shrubs.


March block CQJP


April block CQJP

I replaced the herringbone stitches by grasses.


All about the "Message in a bottle challenge" can be found here.
The challenge ends on March 31st.



Thursday, March 21, 2013

Almost there....


In the challenge package were two blue silk ribbons, 4 mm wide.
However the blue didn't fit anywhere, only at the very bottom of the pool.
I could only think of flowers, they are made with loop stitches and a colonial knot in the center.




Here I have added the first beads in the pool: two glass beads from the package, sequins from the special fabric and glass beads from the bead mix in the package.




How the shells are fastened, is described here.
A special shell shape is caught under the net.


More grasses are added and herringbone stitches at the top, which I later removed.


Three MOP birds. 
The two large ones (mum bird and dad bird) were in the package, the smaller one (baby bird) is from my own stash.

All about the "Message in a bottle challenge" can be found here.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The brown dune and the sea



These are parts of real shells I found at the beach.
I cut a tiny piece of plastic, pricked two holes and pulled thread through.


Next I glued the plastic to the shells.
All I have to do now is fasten the threads.





Loose french knots and drizzle stitches made with a variegated DMC floss and of loose threads of the fringe trim.


I thought the herringbone stitches on top of the dune could represent the sunlight on the top.
Later on I removed them.


More buttonhole stitches to create movement in the sea (hm....actually to hide the seam).

All about the "Message in a bottle challenge" can be found here.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Hairy growth


In the challenge package was this special "hairy" fabric. The color was suitable for clouds, but because of the hairs I didn't want to use it that way. 
What to do with it??? It took some time before I knew.


Plants and shrubs can have many different appearances. 
Why not cut circles..


make running stitches....


...and pull till it is a ball...


...fasten them...and you end with hairy growth.


Look at this trim. It consists of loose threads, some of them have ears in different colors.


I cut the ears with stem and couched them down on this boulder. 


Irregular fly stitches with a variegated DMC floss are added to represent grass.


From a mud colored perle 8 I made this net. It helps to blend the two different parts of the beach.

All about the "Message in a bottle challenge" can be found here.




Saturday, March 2, 2013

The bay...second attemp


The sea was too narrow, so I decided on a second attempt to widen it.


The seams of the waves had to continue in the "new" piece of fabric. A matter of folding and sewing.


The "new" brown hill is much smaller now.


An additional piece of lacy foam is added and the buttonhole stitches are continued.


At the top I have already added more stitching to hide the seam between the old and the new sea. 
Still more hiding to do ;-)

All about the "Message in a bottle challenge" can be found here.

I came to the conclusion I want to spend more time on my stitching and other things I want to do, which means less time at my computer, less blogging and visiting other blogs. 
There is so much to see, enjoy and learn on the blogs and the internet, but all this fun takes a lot of time, so choices have to be made.








Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...