Tuesday, April 2, 2013

New CQJP project: Crazy Fall


A few years ago I visited a quilt shop. This "sane" quilt hang on the wall and I fell in love with the colors and the design. It made me want to turn the blocks.
No need to say I bought the fabrics and the pattern.


I started to sew all 42 blocks by hand, next I sewed them together following the design on the first picture. When I had almost finished I realized this quilt was going to be enormous. Each block is 6,5"  that means 39" x 45,5", that is more than 1 m square. Too big for my home as this design needs space. 
I decided to rearrange the blocks into a 20 blocks quilt.
Here I have hand/machine sewed all blocks together.
The white lines indicate where I basted the backing.


Till now I haven't found the perfect method to sew two pieces of fabric together with seams that meet exactly where they are supposed to meet.
I want to share with you what I tried this time, for now the best method for me.


I took a threaded needle from top to bottom exactly in the seam.


Next from bottom to top about 2 mm at the right side of the seam.
Again from top to bottom exactly in the seam (not showed).


Checking.....looks good!


Next about 2 mm left of the seam.


Checking...
And another time exactly through the seam and fasten the thread.


The result after hand sewing the two intersections.
Next I machine stitched the whole seam.
I stitched all the blocks together this way and most of them look pretty good. 
I have not a clue why some of the seams are so stubborn.



7 comments:

  1. This will be stunning when finished. I absolutely love it! Where did you get the pattern from? I would love to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most fascinating things about your work is that it is always surprising. One never knows what is coming next and you not only can do all sorts of things but are good at them too.
    So after the summery beach is it preparation for autumn! I know you love these colours so you will have fun and changing a pattern is a challenge you will like.
    Machine seams are strong but not as easy to control as hand sewing. I also often adjust/manipulate the seams by hand and then strengthen it with machine stitches on top.
    Your pictures show clearly how it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous colors of Autumn. How fun to see something and them recreate it. I like your method of lining up the seams from block to block. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. New project...new wonderful work!!!
    Kisses.
    Morena

    ReplyDelete
  5. another great project for us to follow, great tip about hand sewing first, pins do not always do the trick, will remember htis when I am finally making a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I just found my way here from the Message in a Bottle challenge. I must confess that your entry was my favorite. Your quilt is just gorgeous and shows such great talent and clever use of the materials! I'm now following.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great tip - and beautiful colors and quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments. I would like to reply, so please make sure Blogger has your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...