Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The bay and the beach


This is another special fabric in the challenge package.
What to use it for?


The first idea was to minimize the large dark brown hill on the right.
I wanted to do that by expanding the sea.


The pebble fabric could serve as the bottom of a bay, the transparent blue as shallow water.


Where the small blue piece is, is the water deeper, thus darker blue.


This is the result. A little rock completes the bay, I added another rock and another one but I wasn't pleased with the result. I have unpicked the bay ;(


On the beach there are often ripples in the sand. To imitate the ripples I used a brown ribbon from the package.


The ribbon is twisted firmly.


Like this..... and couched down.


Completed ripples.

All about the "Message in a bottle challenge" can be found here.



6 comments:

  1. Some interesting experiments going on with your fabrics, Marjolein. I wonder how the 'bay' might look if it followed the line of the water under the dark blue hill (boulder?) on the top right. It might 'read' better that way as water. Maybe it's just my experience, but the ripples I've seen usually follow the same pattern in the sand, but perhaps it's different with ocean or sea beaches......I've only experienced lake beaches. I think it's a great idea to make the sand ripples with the ribbon. It has a nice sheen which looks like the moistness of water droplets on the beach. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your eye for this ocean, dunes, pools is amazing. Each step you take only brings it closer to reality. The ribbon ripples are wonderful. Happy Hearts are Creative Hearts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is do interesting to follow your progress, and to read the comments!
    You've made good use of the material in the kit, (I would have no idea what to do with the speciality fabric!), but I agree, the placement of the new bay looks a bit odd with how the waves are coming in.
    Looking forward to how you are going to solve this problem! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is coming along so very well, the sand ripples look good and overall a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you leave the little rock where it is - I think it is so special and 3-dimensional. The sheer light
    -blue fabric is really difficult - I wonder what you will do with the flowers. Will you at all use them.Are you near the sea where you live?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments. I would like to reply, so please make sure Blogger has your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...