Sunday, December 22, 2013

Mahi Mahi and Manatees


The fourth block pictures a Mahi Mahi.





Four layers of fabric form this tall anemones.
The cutting process wasn't as difficult as I had expected. 


More anemones


The manatees block. 


Close up picture of the sea bottom. Isn't the fabric just fabulous? 


Mc Kenna Ryan calls them Tootsie and Rumples.


Rumples clasps the sea lettuce really tightly.


Anemones and starfish


Sea sponge.

This is my last blogpost of this year.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.



Monday, December 9, 2013

Octopus and Dolphin


The appliqued Octopus block.


The block after quilting


I really love how the octopus turned out. 


Just look at the tentacles. The dotted applique gives the impressions of suckers.


The dolphin




This picture was taken just after I removed the basting. The prints are still visible.


I finished the bubbles with long and short buttonhole stitches. 
The thread is a matching variegated metallic.




Thanks for visiting Threads and Patches!




Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giant clams


The first block before quilting. 
Have you know noticed the cute little clownfishes swimming amongst the anemones?


All six blocks are quilted separately before they are sewn together. 


I chose to handquilt with Yli monofilament thread.


All appliques are quilted, even the very small ones. This  prevents they fell off.


Clownfishes.

Personally I don't like the raw edges. I'm always afraid the fabric will fall apart. 
Very large loose threads will be cut off when the quilt is finished.
However the raw edges aren't visible only if you are standing right in front of it.


For the coral I used Madeira supertwist together with the Yli. 


For the clams I used DMC metallic together with the Yli.
The DMC was a nightmare to work with. 
This thread gets very easely damaged.

Thanks for visiting Threads and Patches ;-)


 

Friday, November 15, 2013

Sea Breeze


Do you know McKenna Ryan?
When I came across this design, I had to order the patterns and fabrics. 
This challenging project was waiting for me till I found the perfect spot to expose it.
It will find its home in our "new" bedroom.


I decided to make only six blocks into an art quilt, as the wall isn't large enough for all of them. 
Each block is 18 inch square. 


This is one of the Hoffman fabrics.
As you can see it has a very special print.
The purpose is to locate the exact spot on the fabric that is similar to the sample picture.


This is one of the samples. 


Now look at the starfish.


The corresponding spot on the lower half of the fabric.
Please do not pay attention to the colors ;-$

The order of work is as follows:
- first sew together the background from one or more fabrics
- trace and cut (widely) all pattern pieces on Wonder Under (Vliesofix)
- find the right spot on the right fabric for every shape and iron on
-cut the shapes on the tracing line and iron them on the right spot on the background. 

Here is an excellent tutorial on the subject of fusible applique.

So far I finished the six blocks. The next phase is to quilt them. 

The six blocks:


Giant clams "Clampetts"


Mahi mahi "Tweedle Dum"


Octopus "Twinkletoes"


Manatees "Tootsie and Rumples"


Turtles "The Nerdles"


Dolphin "Tweedle Dee"


Thanks for visiting Threads and Patches ;-)




Thursday, August 29, 2013

New project: tablequilt


Last time I blogged about a new project: the Royal Persian Blossom. I wanted to work on that beautiful project, but something else came up.

At the moment we are busy redecorating our house. The first thing we changed were the chairs at our dining room table. The old ones wobbled and creaked a lot. These are the new ones.
The table cloth is a plastic one, very handy but the plastic material doesn't harmonize with the fabric of the chairs. 


The naked table fits much better, but it needs something.


Fortunately I had the right fabrics in my stash, creams and browns. 
I bought them for a project I never started.


In a magazine I found this design. The curves intrigued me from the first time I saw it.


The whole design is constructed with one single shape.


First I sewed little triangles consisting of three shapes, then four little triangles are joined to form one big triangle.


Six big triangles form a sort of flower shape.


The plan is to join two flower shapes and smaller cream triangles. Together they will cover the largest part of the table.

This change of chairs is the first in a long row of changes. The following months will be filled with painting, making curtains, changing floor covering, and so on. 
When that job is done, we plan to have a puppy dog. Our former golden retriever passed away last December. After a lot of doubts we decided to have another one.

All these plans mean that there is less time for needlework and blogging.

I am really looking forward to work on all the small and big jobs that have to get done.
The work will give a lot of satisfaction and after that...... the reward......a golden puppy dog;-)






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...