Saturday, October 20, 2012

TAST week 42: Italian border stitch



The TAST stitch for week 42 is Italian border stitch. Perfect for leaves and flowers.


I had this ready made violet and of course it had to find a spot on the Crazy Violets Quilt. You know by now that I am not a seam treatment girl, instead I'll embroider leaves to cover the seams. First I drew templates, cut them out and moved them till I was satisfied. 


The thread is Caron Watercolors (Fuchsia), a nice mixture of fuchsia and purple. As Sharon said, it is a fly stitch with a french knot. I made the leaves the same as I would with simple fly stitches. The knots form a nice vein. 
Sometimes embroidery takes its own way. I had drawn the outline of the upper leaf with a chalk pencil, for some reason the shape changed. Fortunately the lower "wrong" part is covered by the violet.


I want another leaf towards the top extending to the block above and one to the left. That will have to wait till the whole quilt is sewed together.


This looks messy, doesn't it? My plan is to create a flower spray. These green leaves are pieces of lace I cut apart. They are a bit damaged here and there, but they will be covered by flowers in Italian border stitch. 


For the flowers I used DMC perle 5. I filled the petals of the large flowers with three straight stitches. The smaller flowers are in detached chain stitch. In the center is a French knot.


To finish it off I added purple French knots with Kreinik very fine braid #4 and stems in stem stitch.

If you right click on the photo and choose "open link in new window", you get a bigger picture that even can be enlarged.


14 comments:

  1. Really beautiful floral spray :) And the variegated thread you chose for the leaves is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to use the stitch. I love it used for the petals of the flowers. It makes a nice strong line for the leaves too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! This stitch is very versatile indeed!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful !!!!!! petals look beautiful by this stitch !!!!!!and the vein caused by the knots is awesome!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your leaves, Marjolein! I have some of that colour thread I've been saving for a special project. Now I know how beautiful it'll look.
    Beautiful flower spray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a great way to show off this stitch and your sense of colour is wonderful, off to look at your tatting post now for more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely to see your accomplished block stitching - when enlarged it can be seen so clearly as if I had it my my hands

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking us through the whole process of embellishing this block. The Italian Border stitch works so well for both leaves and petals. The 'messy' lace is perfect for the floral spray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your floral spray is wonderful, thanks for sharing the way you do it. I love your color choice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Afternoon Marjolein, Your work is exquisite and so inspirational. I am going to subscribe to your emails as soon as I have finished writing this comment. I would become a follower, but I cannot find a link. I found you via Karen from Sew Many Ways and I look forward to reading the rest of your blog as your work is beautiful. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne,
      Thank you for visiting and your nice comment.
      On the right side on my blog there should be the “Google followers” gadget. If it doesn't show up you can click on the link I have provided in the text above the gadget.
      Hope it helps!
      Have a nice Sunday!

      Delete
  10. I agree with Latha's comment and the spray is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Marjolein, congratulations for being featured in the week 42 highlights. Your wonderful stitching and description does deserve it - it is so perfect and beautiful.
    Love

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments. I would like to reply, so please make sure Blogger has your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...