Saturday, September 29, 2012

TAST week 39: knotted Buttonhole Stitch



A flower spray including Knotted Buttonhole Wheel flowers and Algerian Eye blossoms.
This flower spray appears on the Juni block of CQJP 2012.
Below is the story behind the spray.


The stitch of TAST week 39 is the knotted Buttonhole stitch. My plan is to create flowers using House of Embroidery perlé 8 mixed with one strand of purple Anchor cotton. I felt the color of the perlé by itself is too light.
Here I have drawn two small circles for the centers of the flowers.


I wanted to stitch the knotted buttonhole stitches from the center, the "arms" forming the petals.
After two stitches I found out that was not going to work. The circle is much too small.


The other way round works better. The two buttonhole stitches are made into the same hole on the center circle.


The result is the Knotted Buttonhole Wheel Flower.


In between the "spokes" I made straight stitches with two strands of the purple cotton.


The finished bunch. The stems are in Stem stitch, using two strands of stranded cotton. I chose olive green, matching the green in the center patch. The centers of the flowers are formed  by French knots.


To complete the flower spray I embroidered Algerian eye stitches with House of Embroidery perlé 8 in a beautiful variegated orange. The Algerian eye stitch was the stitch of week 31 of TAST



17 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the colors,

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty flowers!amazing embroidery!thanks for your lovely comment in my blog..happy that you are my 100th follower:))..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Like the variation you made ...Love the knotted buttonhole wheel !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of the knotted buttonhole as a flower! Great idea and it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the purple knotted buttonhole stitched flowers. Another successful stitching my dear...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah - this is a beautiful working of the stitches - the knotted buttonholes as flowers are just lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting and your nice comment!

      Delete
  8. Marjolein, you open our eyes! The knotted buttonhole flowers are so striking in their simplicity, as is the spray of Algerian eye stitches. Your choice of colours also add so much pizzazz to your work. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a lovely flower the stitch makes, once again you have done a great job of the tast,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, inspiring and lovely work. I am way, way behind on TAST stitches.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful stitches and beautiful coors

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful flowers. I like the straight stitch between the buttonholes and the contrast is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charming! Such a good choice of colors and I like the different sizes of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you Ina. I enjoyed stitching them!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments. I would like to reply, so please make sure Blogger has your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...