Friday, June 8, 2012

cactaceae


The hidden beads are turned into cacti by embroidering whipped spiders wheels on top of them.
This stitch can be found here.


I started with a jade colored thread, it was the best a could find. I thought I knew how to do that stitch, but after a few laps I realised there were no ribs. On the picture you can see what I did wrong. I worked from left to right, instead of from right to left.


Now we've got ribs. The thread I used is Appleton crewel wool. I suddenly realised I had another drawer full of threads. This color is much better than the jade for a cactus.


I exaggerated when I talked about mountains and hills. The cacti are much too big in proportion to the "mountains". The mountains are reduced to heaps of sand or  boulders.


7 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful technique...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have even known how to begin stitching cactus into your desert pebble. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool. I like your cactus. This is the prefect stitch to create them. I generally don't like the wheels...I don't know why..but they seem perfect in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Marjolein, your cactus are so beautiful!!
    Hugs and kisses.
    Morena

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whipped spiders wheel is the perfect stitch for cacti. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a lovely cactus with your whipped spiders wheel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments. I would like to reply, so please make sure Blogger has your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...