Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The story of the tatted leaf

The story starts here.


I was stuck with the upper leaf and changed a few things, but wasn't pleased with the result.
The chains 1, 4 and 5 bothered me and the same goes for the rings 2 and 3.


Chain 1 (no join) and 4 (more joins) are better. Rings 2 (less DS) and 3 (less DS) have improved but the leaf is too tapered now.


I completely changed chain 5, therefore I had to change the first ring from the right into a split ring.
So first the split ring, then the chain, then the second ring from the right....oops. Problem....how do I connect this ring to the split ring. I cheated and made a join, but not in a picot. Does that matter??

Chain 5 has only one picot anymore, that looks much better.


I decided to change chain 5 into 6 DS, picot, 6 DS, hoping that would be enough to lessen the tapering.
And yes...it is better, only the chain is not neat, is twists a little because it is too long.


I have shortened the chain to 5DS, picot, 5DS.
All chains and rings lie flat but the leaf is too tapered and the third ring from the left is too prominent.
I am pretty sure that the leaf will lie flat when it is sewed down.

I will have another look at it and post the results. When I am completely happy with the leaf I want to draw the pattern and post it here.

You might think I am not easy satisfied, mostly I am. However in my needlework I am very scrupulous and want to explore everything to improve it.

6 comments:

  1. Not only have you learned to needle tat, you have learned to problem solve too!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tatting is something I have yet to try. I'll have to add it to my ever growing bucket list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to be able to make adjustments to have the leaf just the way you want it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of all of them yet I can see the differences when you point them out. The green leaves are stunning. Happy Tatting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marjolein, be scrupulous always leads to self-criticism, this is to always get better results!
    Hugs and kisses.
    Morena

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking at your tatting now with knowing eyes - I think it is beautiful what you did. I will go on........ I simply have to learn it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading your comments. I would like to reply, so please make sure Blogger has your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...