As I wanted the orange violets to flow over the yellow patch, I decided to embroider a few of them. I traced the shape of a violet on paper, cut it out and drew the shape on the yellow fabric with a pencil. Then I embroidered the outline with split stitch and started to fill the petals with long and short stitch.
I used one strand of variegated DMC coton, the same colors as the violets on the fabric.
For the hearts I stitched a few straight stitches with DMC green coton.
This is how the whole block looks right now.
I don't know yet if there will be more orange violets needed.
These are my plans for the block: an orange ribbon draped on the left and the stumpwork pansy bottom right. Unfortunately the back petals melt into the lilac patch. I will make new ones in darker purple, than I'll decide if leaves are necessary. I want to tat a butterfly that will sit on the yellow patch.