Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Color explosion


Today I want to show you the layout of my crazy violets, my project for CQJP 2012.
Besides DH prefers the title "Color Explosion".


Threads I can use.


And other stuff.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The stem

This is my last post before Christmas.
I want to wish you and your loved ones a merry Christmas.
I am grateful for your visits, comments and friendship.




The stem consists of 3 rows of stitching. The right row is embroidered in outline stitch in the darkest color (629).
The middle row is embroidered in stemstitch color 628 and the left row in stemstitch color 626.
Thread: 1 strand of Gumnut Poppies, colors 626, 628 and 629
Stitches: outline stitch you can find this stitch here; stemstitch is found here.

Next week I hope to post a picture of the layout of the Crazy Violets.


Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Piecing "crazy violets"


Here are the first blocks of the "crazy violets" quilt. My project for CQJP 2012.
I have already pieced 10 blocks, so two more to go. At least I'll be ready in time before the Big Challenge starts. "Crazy violets" will be totally different from "crazy pink". It will be more abundant in color, where the pink quilt is more modest. It will be so much fun to work on two such different projects at the same time.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

My recycled easel


My husband used to paint when he was a boy. He has always kept his easel at the attic.
Since I have my "studio" at the attic, where is no room for a designwall, I thought: "mmmm, an easel is used to carry a painting, why not use it to carry a quilt?"


So I started looking for a piece of cardboard, large enough for my pink quilt.


I wrapped the cardboard in an old sheet.


Here is my pink quilt pinned on the easel. It is like a huge pincushion.
I know, the center piece is missing, I am embroidering it.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Carnation finished

The designs from "Inspiration" are always very detailed and very well explained. I really enjoy stitching them. This carnation is no exception.
The only things I altered were the size and direction of some stitches and I left out the two outer petals.


The two tendrils are embroidered in stemstitch. Along the inner curved tips are colonial knots.
Thread: two strands of The Gentle Art, Simply shaker Sampler thread 7008 rhubarb.
Stitches: stemstitch which you find here and colonial knots which you find here.

Along the outer curved tips are tulip stitches, you find them here.
Thread: 1 strand of Soie Cristal 2032 medium brown rose, the base with 1 strand of DMC metallic E316

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

More sparkles


At the tips of the chain stitches I added straight stitches with one thread DMC metallic E316.
Next I will add tendrils to finish the carnation.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Stemstitch sparkles


Next I added a border of stemstitches with red metallic along the inner edge of the petal and the scallops. You can hardly see it, but it gives a tiny sparkle.

Stitch: stem stitch, you find it here:
Thread: Madeira red metallic.



Friday, December 9, 2011

Centre petal


The carnation is nearly filled. The scallops in the centre are embroidered with rows of blanket stitch from top to bottom. Each next row has to overlap the base of the previous row.

Stitch: closely worked blanket stitch, you find it here
Threads from top to bottom: 3 strands of The Gentle Art, Simply shaker Sampler thread 7008 rhubarb, 2 strands of Soie Cristal 2032 medium brown rose, the next 2 rows 3 strands of Gentle Art 0311 holly berry and 3 strands of Soie Cristal 2031 dark brown rose.
 
The middle section of the centre petal is embroidered with small scattered seed stitches.
In a later stage I will be adding beads in this area.
 
Stitch: seed stitch, you find it here.
Thread: 2 strands of Soie Cristal 2031 dark brown rose

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The petals are embroidered


To fill the two petals I embroidered a row chained feather stitches in the center. As I wanted to fill the petals according their shape I took care that the stitches at the top are slightly wider than at the bottom.
 Stitch: chained feather stitch, you can find it here.
Thread: two strands of Madeira stranded silk 0812 med dusky rose.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Introducing: Crazy Violets CQJP 2012/TAST


I have pulled out fabrics for CQJP 2012/TAST. For more information about those challenges, just click on the badges on the sidebar on the right.
For this project I chose purple, yellow and orange.


The theme is violets (worktitle Crazy Violets). No curved seams this time!
I want to use the stitches from TAST for this quilt or for the pink quilt (worktitle Crazy Pink) depending on how the stitch fits in the quilt. I want to piece the twelve blocks this year, that means three blocks a week.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Between the borders


Between the border rows I embroidered a variation of the blanket stitch with two strands.
Stitch: german knotted blanket stitch, you find it here. (On this page it is called german buttonhole stitch)
It looks like the knotted buttonhole stitch, only the knot is stitched in the opposite direction, you can see it here.
Thread: The Gentle Art, Simply Shaker Sampler thread, color rhubarb 7008

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Borders embroidered


The borders of the upper section of the petals.
Stitch used: portugese stemstitch, here you find how to do it.
 Thread: 3 strands of Soie cristal 2031 dark brown rose.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...