Saturday, February 22, 2014

Sea Breeze completed


Sea Breeze, designed by McKenna Ryan, made by me.
It measures 85 x 125 cm.


The finished quilt, blocks and sashings between the blocks, measures 75 x 115 cm.
That is already pretty large, so I didn't want to add sashings, a border and a binding all around it.
Instead I sewed only a binding, but I chose the prints in such a way that it seems that the quilt is surrounded by a frame.
On the right side I chose a strip that changes from pink, that is also in the block, to sand color.
At the bottom olive green, also in the block, to brown.


The binding at the middle bottom block: nice transition, isn't it?


At the top changes the strip from the blue that is in the block, to brown.


The left side.


As I didn't plan this quilt, the batting was too small. The binding is 5 cm wide, the batting 2,5 cm.


I solved this problem by cutting a strip of batting, laying it closely against the existing batting and sewing it with a curved stitch. A normal zig zag stitch didn't work.


This is the lining, which I sewed at the same time.


The lining is attached to the quilt at a few spots.


The hanging sleeve


 

At the backside the binding is hand sewed to the lining.

Below all six blocks with their sashing strips and binding.


Block 1: the dolphin


Block 2: the manatees


Block 3: the turtles


Block 4: the giant clams


Block 5: the mahi mahi


Block 6: the octopus


Sea Breeze on our wall in the living room. (The wall isn't really that yellow)
It was actually meant for the bedroom, but it turned out to be too large.
With a little imagination the sand color at the sides and the brown at the bottom and top form a frame.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...